March 2020

As previously mentioned, we were scheduled to visit New Zealand next week. After much agonizing, we decided to postpone our trip. It was a tough decision, but we feel we don't have much choice given the current and developing situation, and the health risks to all involved, especially my mother.

· travel

After being on hold for about three hours, Jenn was able to reach Air New Zealand to get a 12-month deferment of our flights. Meanwhile, she canceled the hotels etc. We'll lose about a grand in the process from more stingy hotels, but such is life. We will reschedule the flights, and rebook hotels, probably for next year. Though the flight info is a bit ambiguous; we might have to do the flights later this year. We'll clarify that later. We’ve been planning and looking forward to this trip for years, so we're sorry we had to postpone it. But we’ll still do it, once the world has settled…

Read More

Help me out, folks. This time next week, my wife and I are scheduled to be in New Zealand, to visit my family and tour the South Island, celebrating our 25th anniversary. A trip (from the US) that we booked six months ago.

· health · travel

But with the COVID-19 pandemic going on now, we’re having major misgivings of the wisdom of taking an international trip at present. NZ only has five cases, but there’s risk of exposure in airports and planes, and other unknowns. But on the other hand, the risk probably is fairly low, and if we cancelled, we’d probably lose a lot of money, since many things couldn’t be cancelled. What do you think we should do?

Read More

Load More